The MTV Video Music Awards aired live on September 12 from Barclays Center in Brooklyn, which means the red carpet — and the big fits worn by the artists and celebrities who saunter down it — is also back, baby.
Plenty of major fashion was flaunted in a video booth during last year’s largely remote ceremony, but there’s nothing quite like the feeling of surprise stirred by a well-executed entrance. And stars have had two years to revamp and recharge their wardrobes since Lil Nas X, Lizzo, Taylor Swift, and more sent sartorial shockwaves waves at 2019’s show, meaning music’s biggest lights are shining brighter than ever.
These are our favorite looks from the 2021 VMAs.
- Iann DiorJamie McCarthy/Getty Images
- Kim PtrasRob Kim/Getty Images
- Olivia RodrigoRob Kim/Getty Images
- Paris HiltonAstrid Stawiarz/Getty Images
- Kandy Muse and SymoneJamie McCarthy/Getty Images
- The Kid LaroiJamie McCarthy/Getty Images
- Camila CabelloRob Kim/Getty Images
- Quen BlackwellJeff Kravitz/Getty Images
- AnittaRob Kim/Getty Images
- Kacey MusgravesKevin Mazur/Getty Images
- David Lee RothRob Kim/Getty Images
- Doja CatRob Kim/Getty Images
- Dove CameronJeff Kravitz/Getty Images
- Jxdn and NessaJamie McCarthy/Getty Images
- Shawn MendesJamie McCarthy/Getty Images
- Lil Nas XJamie McCarthy/Getty Images
- Jack HarlowJamie McCarthy/Getty Images